Small business fire safety
Please follow this checklist to prevent damage to your business that could be caused by fire:
- Avoid storing or stockpiling flammable materials such as packaging or waste materials in a place that could be accessed by the public. This includes areas immediately outside your business premises.
- Ensure all machinery is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations and kept clean. If possible, switch machines off when business is unattended.
- Secure all doors, windows and other access points when the business is unattended. Also make sure your business has adequate lighting to deter trespassers.
- Have an adequately serviced fire alarm system such as thermal or smoke alarms, sprinkler systems or a monitored fire alarm.
- If you store dangerous goods, ensure their storage and handling adheres to legislative requirements.
- Ensure your business has a written and practiced emergency response procedure and evacuation diagrams. They should contain staff training, designated muster points and emergency contact numbers.
From the team at ALCAN, thank you for reading this article and stay safe