Christmas Fire safety tips
Many of the things we enjoy during the festive season, such as fairy lights, paper hats, candles and decorations, can all be fire hazards if proper care is not taken
Below are a few quick tips to stay safe during this christmas:
- Take special care with christmas lights. Switch them off when you leave the house and when you go to bed.
- Buy a reputable brand of christmas lights. Avoid cheap lights which may not meet the highest of safety standards.
- Christmas decorations which are made of light materials such as paper and cardboard can burn very easily. Keep them away from lights and candles.
- Give yourself plenty of time to prepare and cook your Christmas lunch. This way you avoid hot fat, boiling water and sharp knife accidents which result from rushing.
- If you choose to go with a real christmas tree, choose one that is freshly cut. Older trees present a fire hazard. To check if your tree is freshly cut, bounce the bottom of the tree on the ground. If lots of needles fall off, the tree was cut too long ago.
- Check on elderly family members to ensure their homes are safe and their smoke alarms are working with fresh batteries.
- Finally in case of a fire, get out, stay out and call 000
Remember, Christmas is a joyius time. A time to celebrate with family and friends. So dont let it be cut short due to negligence. Use these safety tips, in conjunction with proffessional advise from your local fire brigade, and stay safe this festive season.
From the team at ALCAN Fire & Safety Resources, have a wonderful and safe Christmas